Saturday, July 28, 2012

REVIEW 147: KYAA SUPER KOOL HAIN HUM


Release date:
July 27, 2012
Director:
Sachin Yardi
Cast:

Language:
Riteish Deshmukh, Tusshar Kapoor, Sarah Jane Dias, Neha Sharma, Anupam Kher, Chunkey Pandey
Hindi


I was scared after watching Kyaa Super Kool Hain Hum. No seriously, I’m not trying to take an indirect swipe at the quality of its humour. I genuinely mean I was slightly scared after watching a late show of this film at a supposedly upmarket multiplex in the city, in a hall filled mostly with all-male groups of buddies sprinkled with just a handful of couples. Those guys had obviously pre-judged the film quite accurately from its trailer, and went off into peals of laughter at every single ‘joke’ about semen, gay men, lesbian women, menstruation, humping dogs, breasts, rape, masturbation, anal sex, anuses, penises, vaginas, fellatio and Hindi words with opening syllables that sound similar to the English word “macho”, apart from children with progeria, dark-skinned people, short people, Africans, stammering, etc etc.

With all its crudeness, I could still have enjoyed Kyaa Super Kool Hain Hum if it had been funny. But here’s the only funny part of this story … it’s not. The film reminded me of my junior school days when kids would giggle at the very mention of “sex”, and when the use of words such as “coming” and “period” was enough to elevate any anecdote to the status of a joke. Worse, after the first quarter of an hour of this film, I could see most of those ‘jokes’ coming from a mile away. Oh wait, I just wrote the word “coming” … So witty, na?

Clearly the makers of Kyaa Super Kool Hain Hum revel in negative reviews as you can see from their film’s poster. So let me make it clear, my dear reader, I’ve enjoyed my share of bawdy and loud humour on occasion. In spite of their noise levels, I actually had fun through Bol Bachchan and Rowdy Rathore. Though Desi Boyz often defied logic, I had a good time watching it. I’m not at all embarrassed to admit that I died of laughter seeing the Hollywood film Hangover and even the prequel to the film we’re discussing right now. Yes, 2005’s Kyaa Kool Hai Hum was homophobic, shrill and low brow, but it was funny because it knew how to be cheap in a clever way. Kyaa Super Kool Hain Hum, however, is not even trying. Apparently mentioning the name “Ektaa” in a film produced by Ektaa Kapoor constitutes a gag. It seems to be becoming mandatory to throw Marathi dialogues into every film starring Riteish Deshmukh; apparently that too is hilarious. Apparently relevance to context is irrelevant, which can be the only explanation for why each time Tusshar Kapoor’s character spots director Rohit Shetty (playing himself) in this film, he starts mimicking the speech defect of the character he played in Shetty’s Golmaal series. The writing is so flat that I suspect a pre-pubescent child could do better.

I got so bored after the first 15 minutes of Kyaa Super Kool Hain Hum, that I actually counted the number of times I laughed through its 137 minutes: the final tally is eight times. That’s mostly because Riteish – one of Bollywood’s finest comedians – is capable of wrenching some comedy even out of the most godforsaken script. I wish he would give his own talent the respect it deserves, by staying away from films like this one. Riteish and Tusshar share a comfortable chemistry with each other. The girls playing their girlfriends are the other bright spot in this otherwise dreary film. Sarah Jane Dias and Neha Sharma are both easy on the eye and easy in front of the camera. The songs aren’t particularly tuneful (the exception being the UP Bihar lootne remix), but the cast throw themselves into each number with energy and verve, which marginally compensates for the fact that those numbers pop up out of the blue, with little connection to what comes before or after.

What’s the story, did I hear you ask? Oh sorry, I forgot, it doesn’t have one! Now dreading the possibility of Kyaa Uber Kool Hain Hum!

Rating (out of five): *

CBFC Rating (India):
A 
Running time:
137 minutes



10 comments:

  1. I watched it few hours ago. I would rate this movie 2 out of five. The double meaning words were fantastic. :D
    http://www.suv101.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gotta say, based on your other reviews I've read I say this panning from a mile away. I guess in your line of work you need to approach each movie with an open mind in spite of its promos but I can't help think at some subconscious level you probably knew before going in that you're not gonna like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear "Anonymous",

      Did you also see "from a mile away" that I would enjoy Bol Bachchan and Rowdy Rathore despite all my issues with both films? If you think you know what I thought about Kya Super Kool Hain Hum "at a subconscious level" before watching it, you may as well also tell me why I thought so despite having enjoyed the film's predecessor Kya Kool Hain Hum. As a critic I don't go to watch any film with pre-conceived notions. It's a policy I hold very dear which is why I'm not willing to treat your speculative comments as lightly as you make them.

      Rgds, Anna

      Delete
    2. umm...oops, my bad? Someone's very touchy. Anyway as a reader I don't interpret 2.75 out of 5 and the corresponding reviews enjoying, to me that's more like thinking it's not too bad, but that's just me. I guess I don't understand your rubric. But based on the promos of those two films (BB and RR) i genuinely felt you wouldn't despise them because it looked like the fun would outweigh the level of offensiveness enough for you to think they weren't that bad. As a little game I like to play with myself, I like to predict what certain critics who I read will think of the film based on the promos and often there is a pattern. Obviously it's not 100% right 100% of the time, but because there is a pattern I can't help but think that there is some preconceived notions at a subconscious level just by virtue of human nature. As for part 1, I don't remember the promos for that one (i was like 14 when the film released) so I can't explain that one.

      Delete
    3. Dear "Anonymous",

      Firstly, I can’t make out whether you are commenting on my reviews of Bol Bachchan and Rowdy Rathore simply by looking at the ratings or by actually reading the reviews. Second, what you have described as your expectations from my reviews are actually an indicator that you have noticed that I'm consistent with my views. That is how any critic should be – so thank you for that. The only problem is that I've been consistent AFTER watching films whereas you assume that my views are already formed BEFORE I enter the theatre. To my mind it's highly unacceptable (perhaps even dishonest) for any critic to do that, whether at a conscious or at a sub-conscious level ... “Touchy” suggests a refusal to listen to a differing opinion, which is clearly not the case since I've not responded to those who have written to me here telling me they disagree with my review of this film. I'm afraid I’m not being merely “touchy” as you might like to believe, I'm actually rather angry at how casually you question a person’s integrity.

      Rgds, Anna

      Delete
    4. Ah, touchy, angry, close enough. By touchy I meant easily offended/angered or whatever the correct adjective is. You seem rather hell bent on blowing this out of proportion. Questioning your integrity is a bit extreme for what I am saying. If I am a food critic and I dislike eggplant, it's natural for me to have preconceived notions about a dish with eggplant in it before tasting it. It doesn't rule out the possibility that I can be pleasantly surprised. (Probably not the best analogy but you get the point). You are reacting as though I am accusing you of taking money for reviews or serving personal agendas through your reviews. Those things would be questioning your integrity. What I am saying is more of a personal observation. If you see that as something questioning your integrity then that is something I have no control over.

      Delete
    5. Dear "Anonymous",

      Integrity is not just about money. It's about being fair, open-minded and unprejudiced. If you can't see that, then I've no control over that either.

      Rgds, Anna

      Delete
    6. I don't really see how it matters whether I see it or not. You were the one who got (angry? you can put the appropriate word,last time I used an incorrect word and you pulled out webster's dictionary on me) over what I said and made it into a discussion. I then was just trying to defend my comment, but fair enough, this is something we won't see eye to eye on. Also I believe you got the point that I wasn't just referring to money, but just in case, I was referring to external factors not related to the film in general.

      Delete
  3. I think the film is not made for critics or anyone who likes intellectual cinema.The film is made for guys going in big groups.I went with my friends and had a hell of a time with them.For me it was a very good stress buster if you switch off your brains and at least better than rowdy rathore and bol bachchan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. True mam!too much of anything is bad.....my 230 bucks in waste! The only thing i enjoyed was the trailor of the film Heroine...! What a waste...can anybody tell ekta that comedy just does not mean vulgarity in whole

    ReplyDelete